Donald Trump’s ten minute New Hampshire speech, after some very awkward, nearly condescending “thanks yous” and his statement that he knew he would win the state a year ago because he visits there a lot, was exactly what you would expect. We saw he was a poor loser in Iowa, now we see he is not a really great winner either.
“I have so many friends here, and they are special, special, special people,” he said. After assuring the crowd that his vacationing habits, and “special” friends, had assured his win there long before the primary, he ominously assured New Hampshire voters “we won’t forget you, New Hampshire, just remember, you started this.”
The remainder of his speech, other than taking a moment to malign the Democratic NH winner, “Bernie, wants to give our country away!, “rolled directly into saying nothing, loudly, and included all of his favorite buzzwords and “Make America Great Again.” Oh, and calling a vet up to the stage who was placed strategically behind him in a hastily donned jacket.
Still no plans to be heard, just that we are going to dominate “the old-fashioned way,” by beating our rivals. Still nothing on how he will get it done, and nothing on what the costs, politically or economically or to the poverty-stricken former middle class, will be. Just bluster, but we are used to that from Trump.
Basically, his entire speech boils down to one quote: “It’s a hyyyyuuuuge problem, it’s a hyuge problem and we are gonna get it done.” What the problem is depends on who he is talking to, and what the solutions are, well, those are still as hazy as the entire cotton-candy campaign that Trump is running. All fluff, sugar, and looks — not much substance but it will still rot your teeth and give you diabetes if you eat too much of it.
You can watch the full painful speech below, but to sum it up, here are 10 of the most inane quotes from it:
- “We are going to beat Mexico at trade, we are going to beat all of these countries that are taking so much money from us.”
- “We are gonna do something so good, and so fast and so strong and the world is gonna respect us again, believe me.”
- “We are gonna rebuild our military, so big, so strong so powerful, nobody, nobody, is gonna mess with us.”
- “Vets are going to be taken care of.”
- “We are going to build a wall, it will be built. It’s not even, believe it or not, it’s not even a difficult thing to do”
- “We are getting rid of common core, we are gonna educate our children ‘locally.'”
- “We are going to preserve our very sacred Second Amendment, no more chipping away at our Second Amendment.”
- “I am going to be the greatest jobs president that God ever created, Remember that.”
- “Don’t be fooled by 4.9 and 5 percent unemployment, the number is probably 28, 29 as high as 35. In fact, I even heard recently 42 percent.”
- “We are gonna knock the hell out of ISIS, and it’s gonna be done the right way.”
Watch the entire train-wreck of a speech here:
Featured image via screen capture