The National Football League is no stranger to scandal, however, for the league to be in the middle of a controversy relating to a presidential candidate may be a first.
Recently, Trump complained about this fall’s presidential debate schedule, which immediately raised speculation that he may be setting up an excuse to skip them.
As usual, Hillary & the Dems are trying to rig the debates so 2 are up against major NFL games. Same as last time w/ Bernie. Unacceptable!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 30, 2016
During an interview with ABC News,’ George Stephanopoulos, Trump whined about the debate schedule. Trump even claimed to have received a letter from NFL in which the league echoed his frustration.
I got a letter from the NFL saying, ‘This is ridiculous. Why are the debates against,’” he told Stephanopoulos. “‘Cause the NFL doesn’t wanna go against the debates. ‘Cause the debates are gonna be pretty massive, from what I understand, Okay? And I don’t think we should be against the NFL.
When the media contacted the NFL to inquire about the letter, they said they never sent Trump such a document.
[ad3media campaign=”440″ youtube=”undefined”]
Top @NFL spokesman tells me: "While we'd obviously wish the debate commission could find another night, we did not send a letter to Trump."
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) July 30, 2016
Trump’s lies have become disgustingly routine. Here’s proof of Trump’s “truth” allergy from Politifact.
Here are a few of Trump’s greatest hits. From Politifact:
- Trump said he saw thousands of American Muslims celebrating on roof tops on 9/11.
- Trump said the Mexican government was sending criminals over the border.
- Trump retweets a white supremacist’s fake statistics which state that African Americans murder Caucasians by a margin of 81%
- Trump said that the U.S. government gave Syrian Muslims asylum over Syrian Christians.
- Trump said the U.S. was “the most highly tax nation in the world.”
- Trump claims to have written the best seller “Art of the Deal.”
All six of those statements are false. Trump’s penchant for lying far surpasses every presidential candidate in U.S. history, but what’s truly amazing is his lack of contrition. Trump will stand by his lies no matter what and try to sell them even harder. American must not allow this man ever to go near the Oval Office.
Featured image via John Moore/Getty Images